Connecting with Community

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Sister


Sister

A girl or woman who shares a common ancestry, allegiance, character, or purpose with another or others, specifically:

a. A kinswoman.

b. A woman fellow member, as of a sorority.

c. A fellow woman.

d. A close woman friend or companion.


My sisters are all of these things and often I forget that not everyone has the privilege of having a sister. Well, I am blessed and I not only have one but God has allowed me to have two. I don’t reach out and talk to them daily. I don’t text them all day long. I don’t even see them weekly. The lack of communication is me taking them for granted. In my small way of thinking I assume they will always be here and really we all know that is not the case.

Let me tell you a little about my sister Dee, just in case you haven’t had the honor of meeting her. People often say my sister and I look alike. We have similar features but our characteristics are different. I am shy and meek and she is confident and proud. She is tall, with striking beauty as well as elegant and graceful. There is nothing she cannot do. There is nothing she fears.

On April 15, 2016 my sister Artie called and in our conversation, through tears and broken words, she speaks and says my sister Dee has been diagnosed with breast cancer. I sit here still in disbelief because, well you know stuff like this just doesn’t happen to people like us. I sit in my car a little while longer just trying to grasp what I have just heard. I am stunned and unwilling to process. With intent I do not reach out to my little sister, well because you know, if I don’t see here it just won’t be true. It would take me 21 days before I would see her face to face. As I type tears still rampantly consume me. My core has been shaken but I shall not be moved.

My phone buzzes and its Dee, “Are you home? I want to stop by.” It isn’t long before I see her  car in the drive. I walk to the door and rush out to meet her. I can still feel the warmth of her hand as she reaches for me. I bring her close and she whispers, “I am afraid”. Inside, my heart breaks and feels such unexplainable pain.  I cannot fix this. I have nothing to offer. I squeeze her tighter and bring her closer, without words I assure her that this is a battle we will win. This is a battle where we will all go in swinging. I assure her that we are all in this together. I hold her as if she were but a child and my body shakes as I attempt to form words. I allow the God I know to consume me because I can no longer tolerate this pain. My God is faithful and I know the God I serve loves her more than I do. My God is not shaken by this circumstance. 

I am weary and I need God to step in. I cannot find the words to pray. I am in desperate need of my Savior. He is the mightiest Warrior I know. Regardless of what we face, He is faithful. I will let go now and let Him, not because it’s easy but because I know He is willing and able. At any moment of the day tears still freely consume me. Unashamed of this deep love I have for my sisters I trust God, Do you?

My sister has made a bold choice in this battle and we await surgery. We ask that you keep her, her children and her husband in your prayers as she fights this fight and we ask that you pray for all those that fight a similar battle with this thing called Cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment