Connecting with Community

Friday, August 12, 2016

Are you a Life Changer?


Finally Friday!

I wake early dreading the events of the day before me. I gather myself just long enough to make it to my friend’s front porch. We sit sipping tea talking of the events this week has brought. This week started last Friday late in the evening. My son Josh was sliding into base and broke his ankle in two different places. When we arrived to take him to the emergency room his foot was facing the wrong direction. My baby was a trooper but his momma was not because I about passed out twice while in the ER. Little did I know at the time that last Friday would be the beginning of a very long week?

Must we have Mondays?

As you know my little sissy is fighting cancer and she is scheduled to have here port put in first thing Monday morning. I am silent in prayer asking that all goes well. Anxious because I cannot be there. I shift thoughts and I give thanks to God that on this day I celebrate because at 10:47AM, 14 years ago my Josh was born. His birthday celebration begins at the surgeon’s office as we attempt to schedule surgery for the following day. This day is almost out but not before we begin to deal with an allergic reaction to the codeine he was given to subdue the pain.

Thankfully Tuesday?

Josh is scheduled for surgery at 12:30PM I arrive at 11:00AM only to be sent home to try again at 2:00PM. Thankfully at 4:00PM we are ready and willing and at this point he is ready to eat cardboard because he hasn’t eaten since the night before. He is finally wheeled back and suddenly the clock on the wall doesn’t seem to be working as the hands move ever so slightly. Then when I cannot hold on any longer we are out and finally settled at home.

Wonderful Wednesday?

Early Wednesday morning my little sissy is scheduled for her first round of chemo and again I cannot be there to make sure she is well. So I pray and I ask for peace. Not even an hour in to her chemo my daughter receives word that her best friend’s husband has passed away unexpectedly while on his way to work. My heart hurts for this precious woman. I can’t and don’t want to imagine her brokenness. All day my heart is heavy for all of her coworkers, her family and friends. Silently I thank God for life.

Finally headed home but not before I stop to get my Josh a bite to eat.  I’m sitting in line at a fast food place and my phone rings. It is Mrs. Cook, kindly she begins to speak, informing me that our PRO intern and her momma were in a car accident earlier today. Tragically they have both passed away.

Teary Thursday!

I arrive at work and finally in my office I sit at my desk. One moment of peace before my phone again rings. It is the father of my precious intern. He speaks through broken words to let me know that his baby girl is gone. Unable to hold the tears I cry with him and ask if there is anything I can do. I am broken and at this point in the week it is too much for me to handle. So I cry out to my Father and ask that He rescue me.  Psalm 4:1 Answer me when I call to you, my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; have mercy on me and hear my prayer.



Friday ….

I have agreed to meet with the family and the pastor at the church. The goal is to share of the beauty this intern has left behind. Gathered in a room at the church, through brokenness we love without words and we are one for having the opportunity to have loved, even if it was only for a short while. Today I begin to prepare my heart, for the funeral that awaits us tomorrow. Sorrow will not consume me I will live in blessing and my heart will be full. Thankful that God saw fit to place this intern in my life.  I am blessed with the honor of speaking at her memorial on the day she is laid to rest. Not sure what I will say but I do know I will speak love. I know she would want me too

This week did not break me it allowed me a moment to pause, what an amazing time to be alive. Yes I know everywhere we turn there is chaos and yet beauty still surfaces. Uncertainty at every corner and still there is peace. Gently I remind you that we serve a God that is bigger than this chaos and this hurt.  There is not one of us that has time to be waiting for a certain person to be elected into office or for a new policy to be put into place.  We are not promised tomorrow. No not a one of us. All of our todays are numbered and we don’t have a single one to waste so it’s up to each of us to do something on this today.  We are each empowered to choose, daily how we will love. Will we be a Life Changer and establish peace on this earth or will we do our part to create chaos and hurt? Loving is simple, be kind to those that aren’t kind and show patience to those that aren’t patient.

Lacie White was my PRO intern and she was a Life Changer. She gave so much more than she took. She counted all people as worthy.  She loved the unlovable and she included the excluded.  She was kind to those in need of kindness. She was patient to those in need of patience. Lacie died on August 10th 2016 and even though she has left this earth her impact on this earth and humanity will remain.

Love and live life intentionally…………

No comments:

Post a Comment